Sunday, September 28, 2008

Born with an intent to spit slick sentences with sick penmanship

Although the trip to the station was shadowed by the return of my brother in arms, I still managed to take in as much as I could. I learned, first off, that working with television is not something that I want to do. I wasn't built for fame or the high pressure world of television, I was built to contort with words, confuse with paradoxes, and lie with no conscience. All of that to say that I was built to be a back ground lobbyist or a corporate spokesman, making oil spills in Alaska look like the reinstatement of the Garden of Eden. I also learned that if I were to get into this field, I would want to be in the producing end. If anything, I'd want to be in music or movies, not television. I wouldn't mind representing labels and studios, although that trip would be even more difficult than trying to carry a simple television station.
My outlook on televisions stations did change, as my perspective was one of awe. That quickly changed to an alternative view of simplicity. Only two sets to record off of? Re-airing shows in a local area? Unimpressive in my eyes. My visions are on a slightly grandiose scale, call it arrogant if you will.
I did learn an important aspect from this trip that I will carry with me forever. You have to keep ahead. You have to always be at the top of your game. It is essential to be on the cutting edge, whether it is technologically or skill-wise. If you sleep on your game for five seconds, you'll be put out for the season or for your career (sorry for the sports analogy). To give myself a "leg up" in this ever changing world, I'll have to try and give myself a multi-faceted arsenal of experience, whether it be writing skills, producing experience, or technological know-how. The easiest way to do this? Keep up on news going around the world, go to class, and be perceptive.
Overall, the trip did not change my views on my major, it just made me realize what I did not want to do. It gave me a sick motivation to strive harder so I don't have to settle on a local TV station. Reach for the stars if your going to reach for anything.

No comments: